My first jobs weren’t high-paying jobs – not by a protracted shot. I earned a few quarters above minimal wage as a part-time usher at a small film home. Then, I used to be a cashier on the grocery store throughout the road, incomes $2 above minimal wage.
I nonetheless assume fondly of my time on the grocery store. It taught me that not all part-time jobs are thankless, tedious affairs made worse by pitiful pay. Subsequent workplace experiences solidified this conviction. For occasion, I now know what it’s wish to take a job you’re keen on for much less money.
And I’ve found loads of part-time jobs – a few of which require no specialised instructional credentials and little related expertise – that pay much better than my grocery store gig did.
Top Part-Time Jobs That Pay Well
These are among the many high part-time jobs that supply first rate hourly pay. Not included are gig economic system job alternatives by app-based service suppliers like DoorDash, Postmates, and Instacart – alternatives that will provide aggressive pay, although normally with out the authorized protections of employment.
Unless in any other case famous, wage and job progress knowledge comes from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) Occupational Outlook Handbook.
1. Real Estate Agent
- Degree or Certificate Requirements: High college diploma or equal required; postsecondary coursework or a two-year diploma is preferable
- Training Requirements: Some brokerages run new brokers by formal coaching applications; others pair new brokers with skilled ones
- Median Hourly Pay (2019): $24.39
- Growth Outlook (2019 – 2029): 11,300 new positions (2% job progress)
If you’ve got a highschool diploma, an enormous persona, and a relentless work ethic, there’s a superb probability you may make it as an actual property agent.
Real property brokers don’t want actual property dealer licenses, which usually take one to 3 years to acquire. State-issued agent licenses are simpler and faster to get, although necessities differ by jurisdiction. Before you are taking your state take a look at, you may put together with a pre-license take a look at from 360training.com.
Bear in thoughts that solely actual property brokers could personal and function actual property brokerages and hire actual property brokers. In different phrases, function and develop an actual property gross sales business. Even after turning into licensed, brokers should work below licensed brokers who could, in flip, function out of franchised brokerages similar to Re/Max or Coldwell Banker.
Top-performing brokerages could want to hire candidates with some postsecondary actual property or business coursework. Some want candidates with two-year levels. Many conduct background checks on potential brokers.
Brokerages usually take a minimize of brokers’ commissions, so incomes potential is decrease for brokers. But take-home pay additionally is dependent upon property costs and gross sales volumes. Many brokers promote homes as a aspect gig, reducing their annual earnings, however most brokerages are completely happy to oblige, which is why this gig makes the record. Of course, many brokers work full-time jobs promoting actual property too. Flexibility is the secret.
2. Fitness Instructor
- Degree or Certificate Requirements: High college diploma or equal required; postsecondary coursework or affiliate diploma in related fields (similar to train science or kinesiology) could enhance job prospects
- Training Requirements: On-the-job coaching normally includes pairing with more-experienced trainers; teacher certifications (similar to yoga certification by the Yoga Alliance) could enhance marketability and result in greater pay
- Median Hourly Pay (2019): $19.42
- Growth Outlook (2019 – 2029): 57,600 new positions (15% job progress)
Fitness instructors usually work out of personal or public recreation facilities, personal gyms and well being golf equipment, and practice-specific services, similar to yoga and spin cycle studios. Some focus completely on one-on-one or small-group coaching; others lead bigger teams.
Direct-employed health instructors normally have the choice – and could also be required – to work part-time, relying on class schedules and shopper volumes. Many health instructors string collectively a number of employment or contract preparations to copy full-time-equivalent work – main an early-morning yoga class at one health club, then heading to a different facility for a mid-morning Pilates session, for example.
Some instructors complement or substitute conventional in-person coaching with distant instruction constructed round devoted YouTube channels and anchored by distinct personal branding. Selling subscriptions to your personal health coaching channel is a good passive earnings alternative.
3. Dental Hygienist
- Degree or Certificate Requirements: Three-year affiliate diploma required
- Training Requirements: All states license dental hygienists; necessities differ however usually embody a licensing examination and persevering with schooling
- Median Hourly Pay (2019): $36.65
- Growth Outlook (2019 – 2029): 13,300 new positions (6% job progress)
If you’re an everyday on the dentist, you’re already aware of dental hygienists’ duties. They embody:
- Using specialised instruments to scrub tooth, which requires good hand-eye coordination
- Preparing sufferers for dental X-rays and working X-ray gear
- Educating sufferers about oral hygiene
- Communicating with dentists as wanted
Many hygienists work part-time by alternative, balancing household obligations or different earnings streams with the dentist’s chair. If you’re not planning to work full time as a hygienist, it’s truthful to wonder if the three-year affiliate diploma is well worth the expense and time dedication, however the excessive hourly incomes rate could show irresistible.
Plus, hygienists work in predictable office environments throughout common business hours – an interesting prospect for busy professionals.
4. Makeup Artist
- Degree or Certificate Requirements: Self-employed artists might have no formal credentials, however postsecondary certification (vocational college or group faculty) could enhance employment prospects
- Training Requirements: New artists could prepare below more-experienced artists on the job; certificates applications usually present intensive sensible coaching
- Median Hourly Pay (2019): $36.41
- Growth Outlook (2019 – 2029): 500 new positions (11% job progress)
Despite the low variety of accessible positions, the industrial make-up artistry is rising quickly. It’s an effective way to achieve publicity to the performing arts or media business with out enduring years of schooling or coaching. To enhance your job prospects, take into account specializing in a particular make-up self-discipline, similar to hair or prosthetics.
Not all make-up artist jobs are appropriate for part-time work, and also you’re unlikely to discover a function with out early or late hours. For occasion, the make-up artists chargeable for an area TV information station’s morning broadcasts could solely work 4 to 6 hours per day, however they could report back to work at 4am.
- Degree or Certificate Requirements: High college diploma or equal plus further coursework or faculty diploma in tutored topics required
- Training Requirements: Self-employed tutors could not want formal coaching; some tutoring firms have inner on-the-job coaching applications
- Median Hourly Pay (2019): $9.78 assuming a median annual wage of $20,347 (per Glassdoor)
- Growth Outlook (2019 – 2029): Not indicated
Tutoring is an especially versatile job that’s supreme for subject material consultants looking for part-time or seasonal work. It’s a well-liked low season pursuit for full-time lecturers; I’m associates with a math trainer who spends most of his summer season break as a math tutor, flattening a fairly spectacular aspect earnings within the course of.
You don’t must be a licensed trainer to search out success as a tutor, although. All you want is a few kind of credential – ideally, a two- or four-year diploma – in your chosen topic and loads of endurance.
Lots of tutors are self-employed. But you’ll have a better time discovering shoppers – and encounter fewer shopper points, similar to nonpayment – if you work by a good company like as EF Education First or VIPKid.
6. School Bus Driver
- Degree or Certificate Requirements: High college diploma or equal required
- Training Requirements: Variable on-the-job coaching required, normally one to 3 months; drivers should acquire and keep industrial drivers’ licenses with passenger and college bus endorsements however can usually achieve this after hire
- Median Hourly Pay (2018): $16.56
- Growth Outlook (2018 – 2028): 32,800 new positions (5% job progress)
Growing up, you in all probability had a favourite college bus driver. I keep in mind mine, a jovial older man with jokes and tales galore. He appeared impossibly outdated on the time, however I’m fairly positive he was a current retiree making an attempt to stave off boredom.
If you’re prepared to take a seat in your state’s industrial driver’s license examination – which is considerably extra concerned than a regular driver’s license examination – and endure a few months of on-the-job coaching to study routes and security necessities, you can also change into some child’s favourite college bus driver.
Depending on class schedules, passenger volumes, and personal desire, college bus drivers usually work early mornings and mid- to late afternoons. There’s an excessive amount of part-time potential right here, although scheduling could also be strict and drivers could also be topic to minimal hours-worked necessities.
Compared with different jobs that don’t require intensive stipulations, the hourly pay is fairly good, and plenty of drivers belong to labor unions.
- Degree or Certificate Requirements: Postsecondary certificates required, usually 6 to 12 months’ coursework at an accredited group faculty or technical college
- Training Requirements: Variable on-the-job coaching combining sensible work with talent and security instruction; some states require formal certification by organizations such because the American Society for Clinical Pathology
- Median Hourly Pay (2019): $17.07
- Growth Outlook (2019 – 2029): 22,800 new positions (17% job progress)
Phlebotomists acquire and handle blood samples. Most work in medical settings, similar to hospitals and outpatient medical services, however some work on contract with nonprofit organizations such because the American Red Cross. In addition to drawing blood, phlebotomists are chargeable for labeling, storing, and getting into knowledge for blood samples.
Phlebotomy isn’t a job for the squeamish. Strong nerves, sound hand-eye coordination, wholesome reserves of compassion, and a focus to element are all important to success on this discipline. If you’ve obtained these fundamentals down, you’ll discover loads of part-time or occasional work in phlebotomy at outpatient clinics and blood drives, respectively.
8. Child Care Worker
- Degree or Certificate Requirements: High college diploma or equal required for a lot of positions; postsecondary work or diploma could also be obligatory for development
- Training Requirements: Variable on-the-job coaching; bigger employers could have formal coaching applications that take days or perhaps weeks to finish; some states require formal credentialing, normally the Child Development Associate Credential
- Median Hourly Pay (2019): $11.65
- Growth Outlook (2019 – 2029): 19,500 new positions (2% job progress)
Child care employees work in quite a lot of settings: at pre-Okay faculties, multilocation childcare franchises, independently operated day care services, and personal properties. Although supervisory and specialty positions usually require some postsecondary schooling, it’s simple for highschool graduates to search out entry-level work on this discipline.
It’s additionally simple to search out part-time work in baby care, whether or not meaning a morning shift at a licensed day care facility or two days per week in a non-public house that you just discover by Sittercity. Bear in thoughts that bigger day care services could pay lower than personal households. Your earnings wants and expectations could dictate the kind of work you search.
9. Massage Therapist
- Degree or Certificate Requirements: Postsecondary award from an accredited therapeutic massage remedy program required for many positions
- Training Requirements: Most states require state-issued certification or licensing, which includes sitting for an examination
- Median Hourly Pay (2018): $19.92
- Growth Outlook (2018 – 2028): 35,400 new positions (22% job progress)
Massage remedy isn’t the laid-back occupation you would possibly assume it to be. Many therapeutic massage therapists work alongside bodily and occupational therapists, serving to significantly injured or impaired sufferers deal with extreme ache or impaired bodily operate. Even therapeutic massage therapists working at resorts or day spas, the place sufferers usually tend to be bodily wholesome, have to be affected person, attentive to element, and wholly targeted on the duty at hand.
Massage therapists usually work in half-hour or hour-long blocks, which makes for versatile scheduling. If you solely wish to work three or 4 hours per day as a therapeutic massage therapist, it’s best to have little hassle discovering a house in your providers.
The draw back is that therapeutic massage therapists usually work as unbiased contractors, dropping out on a number of the protections of conventional employment, similar to OSHA well being and security rules and protections in opposition to sure forms of discrimination, together with age discrimination.
10. Income Tax Preparer
- Degree or Certificate Requirements: High college diploma or equal required; postsecondary coursework in finance and associated fields could enhance job prospects.
- Training Requirements: Variable on-the-job coaching required, normally below the supervision of more-experienced workers
- Median Hourly Pay (2019): $20.71, assuming a median annual wage of $43,080
- Growth Outlook (2019 – 2029): -600 (-1% job progress)
Income tax preparation is very seasonal work. Beyond the particular abilities wanted to organize and overview shoppers’ earnings tax returns precisely, similar to familiarity with tax preparation software and primary math, it’s not notably expert work. Income tax preparers should not licensed public accountants (CPAs) or enrolled agents, each of which require exhaustive examine (and, within the case of CPAs, the equal of a bachelor’s or grasp’s diploma).
Tax preparers’ peak season runs from late January by mid-April. During this era, tax preparation firms want as a lot assist as they will get. If you’re on the lookout for full-time work, it’s yours, however in case you’d want to work a couple of hours after you get out of your day job, you may in all probability make that occur too.
Tax preparers have to be affected person, attentive to element, and tolerant of repetition. Those working head to head with taxpayers want sturdy communication abilities too. You should even be ready to search out work elsewhere in the course of the 9 or 10 months that your abilities aren’t in demand. Becoming a part-time bookkeeper is an efficient choice because it requires comparable abilities and coaching.
11. Web Developer
- Degree or Certificate Requirements: Self-employed builders want no formal schooling credentials; most employers require an affiliate or bachelor’s diploma
- Training Requirements: Variable on-the-job coaching necessities; programming language certifications could enhance job prospects
- Median Hourly Pay (2019): $35.46
- Growth Outlook (2019 – 2029): 14,800 new positions (8% job progress)
Nearly 20% of Web builders are self-employed. They discover their very own shoppers, set their very own hours, and in any other case march to the beat of their very own drummers. If they wish to work part-time, they’re free to take action.
A detailed pal of mine spends a couple of hours every week, normally within the evenings or on weekends, on freelance Web improvement initiatives referred to him by mutual acquaintances. I don’t know precisely how a lot he makes on Web improvement, however it’s vital. When he went again to highschool full-time, he was in a position to assist himself with out actually upping his improvement workload.
Web improvement can be surprisingly simple to interrupt into. Many builders are self-taught, although in case you’re trying to work for a good company, you’ll probably want an affiliate diploma in computer science or graphic design. You’ll additionally have to move pre-hire improvement exams, which may be rigorous.
If part-time work is your factor, it might be greatest to place collectively a portfolio of your greatest work, hang around a shingle, and let your outcomes communicate for themselves.
12. Graphic Designer
- Degree or Certificate Requirements: Employers usually require a bachelor’s diploma in a related discipline, however self-employed designers could not want postsecondary credentials
- Training Requirements: Certification in particular disciplines, software, and programming languages would possibly assist job prospects; in any other case, coaching usually happens on the job
- Median Hourly Pay (2019): $25.05
- Growth Outlook (2019 – 2029): -10,700 new positions (-4% job progress)
Graphic design is one other discipline common with freelancers and solopreneurs. Those looking for full-time employment with blue-chip advert companies and advertising companies usually want bachelor’s levels to get observed, however proficient designers could get by on the energy of their work product alone.
Plenty of graphic designers work as glorified hobbyists who occur to draw paying shoppers. My Web developer pal moonlights as a graphic designer and appears to do properly. If you’re simply beginning out, create a profile on freelance work platforms similar to Upwork, that are much more seen than a personal web site.
- Degree or Certificate Requirements: No formal schooling required
- Training Requirements: Variable on-the-job coaching, normally no more than every week
- Median Hourly Pay (2019): $11.06
- Growth Outlook (2019 – 2029): 552,400 new positions (10% job progress) for all meals and beverage serving and associated employees, of which caterers are a subset
Caterers belong to the broad and amorphous class of “food and beverage serving and related workers,” which the BLS defines as just about any meals service occupation apart from servers.
Most meals service jobs are amenable to part-time work, however catering is very apt. While skilled caterers would possibly work sufficient to qualify as full-time staff, less-seasoned caterers would possibly decide up a gig each week or month to complement earnings earned elsewhere or whereas finding out full time.
At upscale venues and posh personal residences in main metro areas, caterers could earn considerably greater than the median hourly rate – maybe $15 or $20 per hour earlier than ideas.
14. Local Delivery Driver
- Degree or Certificate Requirements: Most employers require a highschool diploma or equal
- Training Requirements: Variable on-the-job coaching, normally lower than one month; some positions could require a industrial driver’s license
- Median Hourly Pay (2019): $15.39
- Growth Outlook (2019 – 2029): 75,000 new positions (5% job progress)
The flip aspect of the net retail growth is wholesome progress in native supply driver positions. Local supply drivers, which the BLS defines as “delivery truck drivers and driver/sales workers,” usually drive industrial vans or vans inside circumscribed native supply areas. These areas could vary in dimension from many rural counties to a couple sq. miles of an city core.
Local supply hours and pay differ by specialty. When I labored within the restaurant business, I crossed paths with produce and meat supply drivers whose days started properly earlier than daybreak and ended by mid-morning. These days, I’m extra more likely to wave to the UPS lady delivering packages throughout common business hours.
Generally, parcel supply is seasonal, spiking across the holidays, whereas wholesale supply and different subsets stay busy year-round.
15. Restaurant Server
- Degree or Certificate Requirements: Some employers require no formal schooling; upscale eating places could demand a highschool diploma or postsecondary certification
- Training Requirements: Variable on-the-job coaching, starting from a couple of days for downscale eating places to a number of weeks for upscale eating places
- Median Hourly Pay (2019): $11.00
- Growth Outlook (2019 – 2029): 97,600 new positions (4% job progress)
Restaurant service – waitering and waitressing – is the granddaddy of all part-time jobs and arguably the unique “customer service representative” gig. According to the BLS, greater than 2.6 million restaurant servers work within the United States, with about 100,000 predicted to hitch their ranks by 2029. Automation could finally curb or reverse meals service job progress, however the work is there for the taking till that point.
Not all restaurant service jobs are created equal, nevertheless. Fast-casual service employees earn little greater than minimal wage and is probably not eligible for ideas, making the job applicable extra for further money than supporting a household. But full-time veteran servers at Michelin-starred – or aspiring Michelin-starred – eating places could earn shut to 6 figures after ideas.
Whatever the kind of institution, it’s not tough to search out part-time restaurant service work with little coaching required.
If none of those jobs name your identify, don’t despair. Many occupations not on this record are amenable to part-time work, from being a contract author or mail service to working part-time in an entry-level well being care position. And many employers fortunately oblige full-time staff trying to downshift to part-time work for household or well being causes.
This flexibility isn’t restricted to low-skill or modestly compensated occupations, both. Most of the physicians at my spouse’s clinic work lower than full time. Keep that in thoughts as you ponder going again to highschool or altering careers. If your employer is prepared to be versatile, you may not must stop your job solely earlier than you’re able to make the leap.